Monday, January 17, 2011

I never though i'd be a D&D person...

I sat on this for the whole week. Well I didn't really have time to game early in the week anyway, but I wanted to test my gaming skills. I went to Fascinating Rhythm a local used cd, dvd, and game store to look for a new SNES I haven't played. I didn't find anything that struck my fancy. So I piled out all my games and decided to find one has rarely been touched. This is when I came across "Eye of the Beholder" a dungeons and dragons game. My brother couldn't even operate this game. I remember trying it three times and we got lost, and could not figure out the game play.

I played from 1:30 P.M. till 3:30 P.M. and I had to turn the T.V. off but leave it running while I was work.
I returned home at 9:30 P.M.to 11:00 P.M. tonight,
After only dying once I made it the second level.


I have a strong feeling of accomplishment. This game has been in my memory as something I couldn't play. The set up for this game, however, is quite different from the average RPG model. It is a first person view and all you are given is a cursor. The cursor can click for North, West, South, East. The combat does not change into a new screen, and every thing looks exactly the same. I spent most of the time getting lost in the first dungeon. Near the end of the dungeon it creates a full circle trap, and I ended up where I started at the beginning. I didn't find this overly stressful. I enjoyed searching around. I rather enjoyed finding my way through the corridors. This game proved I could use skills that I have developed from other games and apply them to learn a new one. I have realized I have a large patience for games that require methodical thinking and time consumption. I only made it to the second level after three and a half hours. I made my team an all female team and chose fighter roles. It was difficult for me to make time for games, but after a few brief hours I have realized how much I enjoyed the exploration and surprise. I forgot what it was like to jump when an enemy comes and the small adrenaline that comes from the excitement. I look forward to next week, and must decide on a new game to conquer. Overall, this game has taught me that I do have large experience in gaming and I have the skills to continue playing modern games. I do need a lengthy bit of time to put aside so I can fully concentrate and enjoy my time.


Here is a video to show the difficult game play.


Eye of the Beholder. Dungeons and Dragons. Strategic Simulations Inc, Capcom. Super Nintendo. First person role-playing. 1994. Cartridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment