Monday, January 24, 2011

New console adventure.

Since the theme of this experiment is to try new platforms and new genres I went for the Wii that my father owned. Which, I also just read a great article about the marketing behind Wii parties taking a big chunk out of normal American family rituals.

Anyway, I think I Wii partied. I went down to visit my dad with my boyfriend. My brother was there too. I told them I need to game for a few hours and they were for it. My dad said he hadn't touched it for months and my brother stole the Zelda for his house.

Anyway,  it took my dad and brother twenty good minutes rewire it and connect it to the screen. During that same twenty minute span my boyfriend and I were trying to connect the Wii controller to the Wii numchuck to the Wii sharp shooter. I'm fairly video game literate, but I have no idea how seven year olds do it.

My dad is a hunter so I ended up playing hunter games, which were surprising alot of fun!
The two games were Cabela's Dangerous Hunts and Cabela's Big Game Hunter

We played after dinner from six to nine o'clock.

The controls were difficult to master. For shooting it's difficult because you'd expect the numchuck trigger to be the shoot command. However, it was the under tab of the original Wii remote. I also had great difficulty shooting with looking around. Sensory gaming is a new field for me. Even after playing for an hour or so I still found my self struggling to look around in time so a moose didn't kill me. We all played individual tournament. I ended up getting flukily lucky and got 3rd overall. My father who is in his fifties got first. My whole life my father was not very video game literate. My brother and I got almost every system and game growing up and I can just remember him trying Sonic the hedgehog once. This also proves to me how easy Wii makes it to play for all ages. I was always the kid that wanted to play board games when I was little and no one in the family was interested. Wii has successfully allowed me to have my whole family play games with me. It's a different video game experience. I'm not sure I could handle a weekly Wii party experience. I want  compare it to a night out the the movies. I would also choose a new game. I do not usually enjoy sport type games, however, the equipment and people made it fun.


Cabela's Big Game Hunter. Wii. Nintendo. Magic Wand Productions. Sports. 2007. Disc.

Cabela's Dangerous Hunts. Wii. Nintendo. Magic Wand Productions. Sports.  2008. Disc.

Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega Genesis. Sonic Team. Hirokazu Yasuhara. 1991. Cartridge

Wii. Nintendo. Foxconn. Video game console. White. 2006. Disc.

Wii Numchuk. Wii. Nintendo. White. Plastic.

Wii Remote. Wii. Nintendo. White. Plastic.

Wii Sharp Shooter. Wii. Nintendo. White. Plastic.

Zelda Twilight Princess. Zelda. Wii. Nintendo EAD. Nintendo. Shigeru Miyamoto. Single player. Action adventure. 2006. Disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment